Thoughts for the Dawn...little pleasures of the mind, scribbled out of great inspirations from the hidden dungeon of her heart...

Saturday, April 8, 2006

Down The Aisle

(3/6/6 12:05pm)

When I begin to think of it, I stop and chuckle at myself, and then I sigh. I am turning twenty-seven this year and not a shadow of a wedding ring. Wouldn’t you just feel like moping when you come home, turn on your entertainment system, and watch it over and over again… a dashing debonair kneeling down before his beloved maiden, arms outstretched, an engagement ring presented before the proposal is expressed, “Will Thee Be My Wife?” Ah, cheesy! Trust me, I have a lot of that.

Okay, I’ll slap the first person who will tell me it’s too early yet for me to think of marriage. So, really, what is the marrying age? Is there such a thing as a MARRYING AGE?

I have a friend who used to joke about turning thirty this year unattached. I could only empathize. However, much as the thought of settling down, the married life doesn’t seem to really bring the pieces together for me. Yes, there are the sudden daydreams for walking down the aisle to meet the love of my life at the altar and exchange vows. It’s only that when I come down to really think of it, I feel that there is still much left yet for me to do and goals that I have yet to fulfill for myself. My journey of the single life hasn’t yet come full circle to allow myself to the next level.

I attended a simple wedding some years ago of my good friend Jana from college. It was celebrated in a hotel and was set up in all modesty. There was not so much that were invited, just family and relatives of both the bride and groom and close friends. Up until this day, as I look back, I still tell myself that was the best wedding I experienced. The simplicity of the ceremony was able to capture the true essence of the sacrament of matrimony.

As she was marching down the aisle, dressed in a humble white gown, her groom in joyful wait, she solemnly sang a heartfelt Coming-Home-To-You in a melody that made it all dramatic and touching. Their wedding is one of the few that reflected a perfect union and love at its purest and truest. I am looking forward for my own to be like that of Jana.

Idealizing now, I dream to be wed in the chapel of my Patron Saint, Saint Therese of the Child Jesus. I want it held there for the solemnity and reverence because it is where my childhood is…

What is your dream wedding?


Copyright ©2006 Theren Alexander

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Theren!

It's Ben. Just wanted to comment. There is no such thing as a MARRYING AGE. You get married when you are sure of your feeling for the better half. When you love truly, that basically answers it all.

Goodluck with the blog.

Ben

Anonymous said...

You ask yourself if there is a marrying age. I think there is not. Furthermore I think that no matter how beautiful a wedding is, it is not a guarantee of a great marriage. It is just a nice start. If you feel that you have to be married before a certain age then it is most likely you force yourself into marriage by getting a boyfriend because you must. You meet a man who of whom you think that he is a nice person and the few years that you are girlfriend-boyfriend you discover that he has some things you don’t like, but you think you can overcome those things and so you go on as after all you have to be married at a certain age and marriage still looks like a ferry tale. Then you marry, then you notice that marriage is hard work while building your relationship stronger with a person that is annoying you more every day because of the nasty habits or flaws in his character that you thought you would overcome. However in church you said “ Till death do us part” and so to keep the marriage going on one day you will decide to have children as you want to put your happiness into your children. Then you discover that having children is not the answer but you can’t divorce as you have children. Is this a scenario that is very rare? No, unfortunately it isn’t.
As I recall ( correct me if I am wrong) in countries like the Philippines it is forbidden by law to have divorce so you will have stay married for the rest of your life. In countries like mine it isn’t. You can still correct the big mistake you made in your thoughts and dreams about your future. Over here it isn’t a choice you made while young and innocent and forces you to stay unhappy for the rest of your life. However one should avoid this if one can because there is a lot of hurt and a lot pain involved when divorcing.
Many people ask themselves if there is the right age for marrying. Like I already said, there none. However there is a right time for marriage. When is the right time for marriage? The right time is when you truly love the one who is you boyfriend. How do you know that someone is your true love? You know that someone is your true love when you think of him( in my case it is a she) every day, every hour, every minute, when you feel he is inside of your heart and your mind and you can’t get him out. When he is the first thing you think of when you get up and the last thing when going to sleep. When you feel that he is the only one far above others while you only can think of him, no other and you want to give everything you own and even more everything you have inside of yourself to him just to see happiness in his eyes. When you feel you can’t live without him and want to be beside him for the rest of your life. Than you will feel and know about true love and you will know that is the right time for marriage. For some it happens when they are at the age of 23, for some at the age of 45. In love and feelings ages are not important. Sometimes 2 people who differ in age 15 years are the happiest couple there is. Who are we to judge and why do we always think in figures? Mathematics and feelings are opposites. So who are we to judge when people are 40 years and still haven’t found the love of their live and stay single as they are waiting patiently and not unhappily for that while laughed at by people who are unhappily married because they thought they had to be married before a certain age. No there is no age for true happiness. And so not for marriage. My dream wedding is that I agree in whatever my wife wants at this important day as I want to see my wife being so happy as it will be the day of her life while for her a dream comes true.

Anonymous said...

u knw fren, age doesnt matter n marrying! as long as ur stable n lyf, knws d responsblity, & u feel tru LoVE?, den why not? r u d 1 wd dat crteria,,,, am sori f dats my opnion on dat regards! kep goin! GOD speed!

Anonymous said...

I never dreamed of a wedding until you asked me what is my dream wedding.... hmm what it's like to wed an agel like you? Uhh that's what I've been dreaming . . . . a pretty good nice girl whom you want to spend all the days of your life and loving every moment being with her until forever....