Thoughts for the Dawn...little pleasures of the mind, scribbled out of great inspirations from the hidden dungeon of her heart...

Thursday, June 8, 2006

Movie Reviews

KAILANGAN KITA
(Star Cinema)
FILIPINAS - Stand Up, Be Proud!
By: Theren Alexander (6/8/6 7:15 PM)


I am proud I am FILIPINO. Because I have a country I belong to and know that is my own. I take pride in having the bloodline of a Pinoy because these lines influence me:



Lena: Ang alam ko kasi sa mga namumundok na yan, nasa bundok pa rin sila ng Pilipinas!

Carl: Ah, at ako wala? Ako ang traydor?

Lena: Ikaw ang nagsabi niyan.

Carl: Pero yun din ang gusto mong sabihin kanina pa, di ba?

Lena: Hinde! Gusto ko lang malaman mo na wala kang karapatan humusga sa kapwa mo Pilipino. Lalo na sa mga Pilipinong naiwan.

Carl: Wala ka rin karapatang husgahan ako o ang mga Pilipinong nagsisi-alisan para lang maghanap ng mas magandang buhay!

Lena: Kung lahat ng Pilipino kagaya mo, wala ng maiiwan dito sa Pilipinas!





- Inspiring Exchange of Lines from the movie “Kailangan Kita”-
STAR CINEMA
(Claudine Barretto/Aga Mulach)


I believe that Filipinas still has hope if its people have enough love to raise it from its grave. It is not whether you are right here or out there that determines your being a Filipino. You can become another country's citizen by proclamation of a certain document; however, your biological facts still determines your roots.

I take pride in the fact that I belong to a nation that is rich with heritage and ancestry. A mainland that is springing with hope and promise. Perhaps, all it will take is for all of us to have one solid dream for that New Philippines in the Philippines.

Our aspirations for our country's tomorrow can shine even if we stay afoot in our homeland or when we are elsewhere than here, but still working towards bringing this nation back on its stand still. I have no argument as to the ideals you take to make it happen for all of us. My outcry is for a united effort towards the same dream.

When I was traveling around, I couldn't stop but marvel at the beauty and abundance of this land, and in the event feel bad that we actually have it in the pot, we just haven't started cooking.

It takes so much patience and passion to perfect a flan, but the sweet tooth has the will. The Philippines is like the flan, it needs to be managed with the right recipe and the right chef. It is like a sculpture embodied in an art, which was formed with a fuel of inspiration.

Stop blaming people for leaving the country or staying. Let us hope that for whatever reason they have in choosing whichever option, is for the good of all. In spite of the fact that there have been more of the hard times back here; I believe that things happen for a reason. Symbolic to every sunrise in our lives, I have faith that a great sunrise for Filipinas awaits.

We can make it happen. Cheers to the coming of that dawn!
All About Love
Star Cinema
May 30, 2006
The usual preoccupation of Theren Alexander, if this is not to compete with Leah and her "world", she went to watch All About Love with the company of no one. At the trailer, she was already ecstatic to see that Luis Manzano who bears her crush's smile was a part of the flick. So that reason alone and a truly wonderful script for a feel good "kilig" motion picture, Theren rushed into the cinema by herself, a large bag of popcorn in one hand and two packs of mango juice on the other.

She realized coming in that even before she sat herself it was already halfway to the end of the film. So she indulges herself first before really paying attention. Of course, when she got in, it was already the part on John Lloyd and Bea's story, which to her surprise did capture her attention towards the climax.
So she does a rerun of it.
"This is bullshit!" Eric (John Lloyd) says, " don't talk to me about pain! Dahil hindi lang ikaw ang nawalan ng minamahal, at hindi lang ako," (Not too sure if I got the dialogue right, but I am sure of the thought => ).
His conviction was that, just because you are a good person doesn't mean you are spared of getting hurt in love. Love and Pain is already a package deal. On that particular scene I was held frozen. Splendid exchange of lines and great timing for the drama. I have come to think of my good friend Jason that I did not control the urge to text him.
"U shud watch ALL ABOUT LOVE it's a movie 4 u."
Who, however, in his usual ironic disposition replied with, "AY GANUN. I WIL. PUMILA KA PALA. BUT IM OVER LOVE NA RIN. SO DAT MAKES IT FOR U. BUWAHAHA."
So there, all the empathy and excitement you can solicit.

I found that Angelica Panganiban and Jason Abalos really make a great pair with obvious chemistry, their pairing wasn't all too cheesy nor boring. Just the right mix. Moreover, Luis Manzano's episode with Anne Curtis must have been the real entertainer in the whole flick. Just like Hero and Sandara's episode in Becuz of U, although a little better.

Altogether, it is truly a wonderful, no let me rephrase that, spectacular installation Star Cinema has rendered its viewers. Well, of course, others may not have the same inkling as I have towards this movie, but I have expressed my regards toward it, I will say no further.

For someone who has been stripped off love, this film is one that can twist your discouragement of that feeling back in its place. This had me. =)
Copyright ©2006 Theren Alexander

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never been in the Filippines but from the pictures I know it is a beautiful country. I know some Filipinas over here and they are very nice people. I think you are also an example of an intelligent and nice Filipina as there are many although each in his own unique way.
People leaving their country doesn't mean that they turn their back on their roots. Over here the Filipinas are very proud of their country and they have every right to be.
In every country in the world there are things that are to be improved and it differs from one country to another however that doesn't makes us less proud from were we come from.
Sometimes people leave their country because somewhere else they can't find a better job, maybe even a better existence. Maybe the one and only she/he loves will be living in another country and she/he follows him. This loved one will be in his/her heart but so will be the Filipinas
as they never forget their roots and indeed are proud on their country as they should.