Thoughts for the Dawn...little pleasures of the mind, scribbled out of great inspirations from the hidden dungeon of her heart...

Sunday, July 1, 2012

ZAMBOANGA HERMOSA

My Piece of Heaven on Earth

I left Zamboanga City in December 2003 on short notice. I remember I left with clothes that were barely dried as I rushed for my flight to Cebu. For almost six years since then I never went home. In November 2009, after I was based in Manila the year prior....I finally did. I was met at the airport by almost the entire clan and my best friend in college and her family. I was going to ask my Mom where the Mayor was. Hahaha! When we got home I was met by a surprise welcome home banner. It felt like I was an instant celebrity. Our neighbors who came by to see me were so amazed that I still had strong command of our Chavacano dialect despite the span of time that I was away. Normally, in our barrio when someone comes home from having stayed away for too long would already have adopted the native tongue of the other city. Not me. Whatever is of my home is in my heart, because, time and again, as the old adage goes: HOME is where the HEART is... 

Perhaps, one of the best feelings we can ever have is to go home to our family and to see old friends. Next to that I go home for these:

The Fort Pilar Shrine: This is my hiding place. This is also the place I used to share with someone very special. I wonder what has become of him. We used to meet here every Wednesdays just to have quality time together and to talk. I get to meditate and relax here. This is my sanctuary and peace-and-quiet. Whenever I go visit the shrine I always think of you saying, "You Are Not Gone..."


Pasonanca Park: This is another place that holds so many fond memories with my special friend. When I think of Zamboanga...I think of you...




Satti: This is one of my absolute favorite Moro food I always go home to! Satti is a dish consisting of grilled chicken and/or beef bits and rice cubes in red hot sauce. Yum!                      


Spaghetti in a Pan: In Zamboanga City you can only find this in a restaurant called Food Paradise. The pasta is not prepared as extravagantly, but there's a different kick in the sauce that they have in this, which is why it is my favorite.



Adobong Langka: In Metro Manila they make Langka Salad which couldn't quite compare to this. This one I personally prepared. In our family, not knowing how to cook is a crime! :)


Brillantaw: This is our version of the coconut candy. Made from young coconut, condensed milk, white sugar, calamansi peel and cheese. The ones in the photo below was prepared by yours-truly :)


Apple Mangoes, Santol and Buko: These can all be harvested in our backyard. We live near the mountains. I am  a girl PROMDI (from the province) and proud of it! It is highly unlikely, but YES I can peel and break a coconut in two and grate it the traditional way!





Chickens: I grew up in a home where poultry is part of our household. My Dad and younger brother, although not officially farmers have been raising chickens (hens and roosters) throughout time. Even now that Daddy is bedridden and all, we still have chickens. The best part about having had poultry stock at home is that we get to prepare Tinola out of native chicken which soup is more sumptuous. 


During my 9-Day vacation back home, most recently, my bubbly niece Elyka Nicole would come to the back door each morning with Santol in hand for me. Sweet! :) I absolutely love this kiddo!


I would always, always, go home to these! Zamboanga Hermosa: The City of Flowers and Butterflies...











(Photos of Flowers and Butterflies Taken at the Butterfly Park, Jardin Maria Clara Lobregat, Pasonanca, Zamboanga City, June 16, 2012 by Theren Alexander)




© Theren Alexander 2012

10 comments:

mga27 said...

This is so wonderful tes. If i would be given to host a travel show in the future, i would pick ur blog and make it my pilot episode. So brilliant!:)

mga27 said...

This is so brilliant tes. If i would have to pick a pilo episode for a travel show, definitely i'll pick urs. WOnderfully amazed :))

Theren Alexander said...

Muchas gracias, Marge! Miss ya gat io contigo! Hope we can do Fully Booked again at Bonifacio High Street :) If we're not too busy hehe

Michael Gamal Aziz said...

nice thedyyyyy beautifulll natural viewsss and yummy foood - i am hungry :D -

_Mark_ said...

Hey Theren! Your province is very picturesque. I enjoyed browsing through the shots. You have an eye for beauty. Kudos! I am always a fan :)

_Mark_

nina gallagher said...

Theren, keep the good vibes rollin'! Mwah! I miss you much girl. Miss chattin' with ya :(

Theren Alexander said...

Thanks everyone! I miss you Nina! :)

BEN said...

A beautiful person inside-out like you can only come from a place as beautiful :)

Theren Alexander said...

Thank you, Ben. How's life in Aussie? I miss talking to you :)

Anonymous said...

How to make those coconut candies? :(