Thoughts for the Dawn...little pleasures of the mind, scribbled out of great inspirations from the hidden dungeon of her heart...

Monday, August 27, 2007

THE BALLERINA

August 27, 2007


Would you believe me if I told you I studied to become a ballerina? I failed to capture Illen’s classic look of shock, but it was some shock to speak of. Yes, I went to Ballet School when I was about seven or so years old along with my big sister Pam who went for piano lessons in that same center for the arts. But I wasn’t very gifted as a ballet student, I learned the first five fundamental steps of it, failed to learn the split, was included in the recital’s invite card but wasn’t there during the actual recital.


Yes, your stubborn little brat over again.



Why did I not like ballet, when lots of girls are actually dreaming of getting into Lisa Macuja’s ballet shoes? Oh, and did I tell you I actually am a frustrated dancer? Ironic, you might put in.



Well, I am…a FRUSTRATED DANCER!



In grade school, I really hated it every commencement and culminating program when my classmates would form up a dance troop and NOT INCLUDE ME! The only times I remember I was ever able to participate in dances were those initiated by our mentors for folk dance renditions and field demonstrations, a pity! So then I had to wear those itchy conventional if not traditional costumes instead of the cool new-day get ups, and bop old style over the current jig.



I am looking at life now like a dance. What kind of dance actually relate to my persona?



POLKA – No
FOLK – No
BALLROOM – No
SALSA – No
MODERN DANCE – Bring it on!



This is not to say I am going to disco hop any moment after this article. What I am saying is I am a modern dancer by character and at heart. Despite that I am somewhat a loner, a little bit of an introvert and altogether reserved, I would have to say that I look more forwardly at the latest trends. If it were to be related to the music my dance steps would strut to, it will more obviously be upbeat.



I am a slice between pessimism and optimism; the icing on the cake. I love adventure and to venture into the unknown. I am what you call a book most people dare not read lest they can’t read. I am afraid of heights, but I look to the day until I can experience bungee jumping or sky diving. I am scared of snakes and any other reptile but I am interested in them.



A classic modern…

A genre for discovery…


Like most up-to-date these days, I prefer to belong in somewhere that is “IN” but different; Different to make it interesting and interesting to make it worth the fuss. Going back to ballet, wasn’t it worth the fuss? Well, to tell you honestly, back home, my family lived somewhere in the west coast side of the metro and it was where civilization at that time was not yet in full bloom. By civilization I mean no phones or internet in sight. So for people who lived in the city proper, to which I refer to as “city side”, they actually are what made ballet school “worth the fuss”. Because I get to meet lots of other girls who were speaking the language I wanted to get accustomed to so much. They were what really caught my interest at that time.



To this day, with respect to ballet, there will only be one person to whom I applaud a great SPLIT rendition, it was Lea’s. I don’t remember her surname now, but I remember she was called Lea. And there will only be one modernized ballet movie that I will remember forever with bliss, for this it will have to be “Save the Last Dance”.



Whatever dance you relate to as a person, it doesn’t matter what it is, you always only need to ask yourself if it is what your feet desires to move to; if this is what will take you CENTER STAGE.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Copyright ©2007 Theren Alexander

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a writer, a photographer, a lonely traveler...whatever, Theren, you have my best wishes with you. Just keep your head up, okay?