Thoughts for the Dawn...little pleasures of the mind, scribbled out of great inspirations from the hidden dungeon of her heart...

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Walk with My FATHER...again...

ONE DAY DADDY WILL WALK AGAIN...

I believe girls are mostly drawn to their fathers. If this is not true for everyone, at least this is true for me. But, please do not make the mistake of thinking otherwise, because I love both my parents. The best memory I have of my Dad is that he was the very first person who sought me out when I ran away from home some years ago. That happy thought always bring me back to believing how important family is.


(With Mom (seated) and our 1st Degree Muslim Tausug relatives, Dad's elder brother Hji Jurrie Jawari and his wife Hja Rasida Susulan Jawari)


(He is his elder brother's favorite...)


My father had been bedridden after he was diagnosed of acute bronchitis, hypertension and enlargement of the heart. He could no longer move because his legs are folded and he has been attached to his bed for three years or so now. 

I never fully understood what pains my mother have to go through giving care to my father until I was able to experience care giving for Daddy during my recent vacation home. We have two caregivers at home taking turns to help Mom with Dad in giving him a bath, changing his clothes, feeding him, attending to his needs and to move him around. I salute all the caregivers around the world! But no one compares to what a wife does for her husband. I have never seen another love so great as when I saw my mother care for my father during the weakest moments of his life.

I never fully understood how emotionally draining it is when there are emergencies regarding Dad. Not until I was physically home during such. One afternoon, when Mom and I retired by the porch after we finished cleaning up Dad, because the caregiver for that day had to be away on an important errand, Dad accidentally fell from his bed! It was about four feet high to the cemented floor. Sheer panic filled up the house. I was so afraid to move him. My mind just went blank. I was so hurt. I was hurt seeing him like that and seeing my Mom jump in terror that Daddy may have already passed away due to that fall. 

Over the years, when I think of it now, how ironic that the Superman I knew would be lying in bed helpless. I am not going to lose faith in you, Dad. I shall continue to pray for that one day...

ONE DAY I WILL MAKE DADDY HIS COFFEE AGAIN...

About the fondest memories I have of my Dad, are those times when he'd carry me in one one arm and my younger brother on the other when we were little, while he lull's us to sleep as he sang, "The Impossible Dream." 

"To dream the impossible dream..." So the song goes...

I remember how much fun my siblings and I used to have to dance in the rain with our cousins, while daddy would patiently wait in a corner by the door to our house, so that he can feed us while we enjoyed our childhood. I smile at the thought of those nice evenings when we'd sit and watch basketball or the World Wrestling Federation with him. But the greatest of all these memories I have of my Dad is that he was the very first person who told me never to quit. So, I am holding on for you, Dad. When that day comes, I will get to walk with my father again.


(For Better or for Worse. In Sickness and in Health.)


I Love You, Dad! Happy Birthday :)

© Theren Alexander 2012

13 comments:

Michael Gamal Aziz said...

niceeeeeeeeee

Michael Gamal Aziz said...

nicee

Michael Gamal Aziz said...

niceee

abet said...

Belated happy birthday to your dad!
What you have become is a manifestation of how great your parents are... I'm sure they're very proud of you, especially your dad. If you get the chance to go home again read this to him.

Theren Alexander said...

thanks mike! thank you too abet :) just like i told you, i don't think i can without breaking out. oh! big day mo na tomorrow! woohoo! happy birthday abet. ganda ng ref ni momma mo. i'm so happy for her :)

abet said...

thanks!!!

dora said...

I just can't believe my eyes! I am reading you again!

nina gallagher said...

I TOLD YOU SO! Hahaha!

Theren Alexander said...

CatFight!!! LOL. Relax, Girls! It's my blog month. This blog just turned seven years old which is why the pen is pourin' :)

BEN said...

God and Family are most important...I agree.

BEN said...

Seven years? Wow! Kudos, Theren :) Happy anniversary to your blogger!

gvgracy said...

i just read it today .. heartwarming, teary-eyed. It made me miss my dad .. We're so lucky to have daddy like them .. so lucky!

Theren Alexander said...

You betcha, GV Gracy! :) Thanks for stumbling upon my wilderness again...