Thoughts for the Dawn...little pleasures of the mind, scribbled out of great inspirations from the hidden dungeon of her heart...

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Underneath the Surface

December 27, 2006 (07:50 PM)

Case 01: What if you’re secretly falling in love with your guy friend? And you can’t settle with any consolation unless confirmed, it remains a one-way street. This guy happens to be just recently broken hearted from his current flame, the very situation which is what gathers you up with him more often now. How do you handle listening to who could be the love of your life, talking to you about the love of his life which he has lost? Confusing? Nah, crazy!

For whatever crazier reason, Kath suddenly fires me up with these questions as I braved myself on top of those two-inched heels toward the Oxford Suites seeking for those light beers, which were surprisingly lost in merchandise at Rustan’s Supermarket in Power Plant, where taxis at dusk are already at high demand and where we were not actually star struck by Bianca King.


So, think, think! What did I eventually tell Kath? Be a friend. It is what he needs in this situation. Forget about your own feelings for the mean time. There are moments when you can be selfish about how you feel, especially if you keep it to yourself for the most time, but right now, more over than not, he needs his Trusted Confidant, not his Secret Admirer.


The hard part about being a girl in a complicated situation is that you cannot make the first move, unless you actually brace yourself and defy those fears of possibly losing him in the long run, because you will let it out.


Rommel tells me in one of those deserted phone conversations we have, “Let him know! It is better than moving on without him knowing.” The question is how do you move on from there? Will you be able to? And what with the friendship, which could consequentially blow with your outburst… or not, but with what certainty? It is already hard enough just letting it out, how much harder the aftermath?


So, I tell Kath over again, I would choose to be his friend in moments like this. Because I wouldn’t like to be in a competition I am not officially a part of. Where there is not a pint of certainty I would win after all.


But, challenge me. What can a girl actually do in a situation as conventional as this? I mean, I have seen this in soap operas, koreanovelas, tsinovelas, sitcoms, and movies over time, where usually the one secretly in love with the friend usually ends up becoming THE FRIEND (if not the more mortified turn around, him/her becoming the villain/villainess who eventually masterminds all the kidnappings and killings), who was forgiven for his/her over reactions and realizing that they were not meant to be, because the original love team prevails, or so goes the story.


Reality check, the gadget guy tells me, “Never Assume!” So, I echo back the same thing to Kath when she tells me this and that.


Case 02: What if your guy friend with whom you are secretly infatuated with, suddenly asks you to put him on blind dates with your available friends? He can be so insensitive! But, reality check again, is it really his fault that you should even be offended by this actuations when he is socially unaware of how goody you feels about him? See? You are nodding.


So, where should you rightfully set afoot? Should you even be seeking for this place? Think about it. You are standing astray in a one-way street, where if you are driving, you are supposed to move on with the drive and continue into the path way ahead of you. Perhaps, the reason why loving someone from afar is one-way and unrequited, is because it’s supposed to be pursued. To hell with the norm!


Okay, so my supervisor tells me it’s really easier said than done, which makes it a third to the reality check we’ve been making in this whole set of article I am piecing together.
Reckoning the pros and cons, that you are the woman in the plot and you cannot beckon to stain the image of Maria Clara, will you then settle for becoming the sufferer for a cause and plunge into emotional sadism? Off you go and willingly set him up with your AVAILABLE FRIENDS? Or would you, as my good friend would tell him honestly, “I have single friends but they are already committed.” From which she so wanted to add, “If you are failing to notice… I am the only other available soul in this avenue right here, right now, because if not, they would all be here partying with the two of us.”


Am I making sense? Okay, so this happens in real life. But, would you actually blurt that in addition? Unless it is a given you have no fear of rejection or embarrassment which will come out after the big bang.


It’s like, the last bite of that lasagna you’ve been drooling over for the nth time is right in front of you, preying itself for your satisfaction, and Garfield is out of sight, that you manage to waste your time wishing that lasagna could speak back and say, “It’s okay I don’t bite, but you can.” Then top it off with a cute smiley at the end to set you off.


Circumstantially, the lasagna expires until molds eat it up like your stupidity did to you in the exact same agony.


As a finale, I stick my tongue out at Kath and tell her, “Loser.”


I get a wink and a, “Look who’s talking!”




Copyright ©2007 Theren Alexander

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have the courage, but I will perhaps do something to brave it. Difficult situation really. But trust me, the truth will set you free. Just be prepared for which kind of freedom.