Thoughts for the Dawn...little pleasures of the mind, scribbled out of great inspirations from the hidden dungeon of her heart...

Saturday, April 8, 2006

Nightingales

March 13, 2006 (01:00 AM)

An ounce of optimism is what I need to start this year right. This was what I told myself at the commencement of 2006. But I couldn’t quite pin point why my good friend decided to go home to our hometown to study nursing, and everybody else just went with the idea. Why I didn’t.

There was a time in my life when I wanted to become a nurse. But it was more because my favorite TV series at that time was an American production titled Nightingales, which was about nurses and hospital life. Yes, this was years before E.R. came to view. I was in grade school then and I never missed a night without watching it.

I wanted to become a nurse. But that was then. Right now, I have realized I never liked being in hospitals or the thought of it. Now for some this is quite a revelation (hold that comment, Jason!!!).

By this time I must have led you think that this article is going to be about nursing and all its glory. Actually, it is just to open the main topic of this piece.

I am writing amidst falling towards the thought of missing my very good friend who will soon be kissing back La Bella Zamboanga. He actually, or should I say bluntly, expressed that it was exaggerating not to face it. Perhaps he doesn’t realize the amount of influence he has already inflicted in my young life.

We have gone through a lot since college. Throughout laugters, criticisms, almost activist activities, videoke night-outs, wee-hour drives, disputes, silent treatments, shouting, staying up late and what-have-you. My days with this guy have been intoxicating but memorable. Memorable in the sense that whenever and wherever I go, he will always fill up a space in my life.

He probably doesn’t know it, but to my family…he is family.

Jason. Whether you’ll yuck at this or not, I will be missing you a great deal. And if there should be one reason for me to hate Dae Jang Geum, it is for her inspiration. At the same time, the look at her will remind me of you. My stay in Cebu will never be the same again.

To Jason:

No one will ever stand up to what you are in my life. For a sum of three years in the University we have become friends, one of the best so to speak. Three years ago, you rescued me from sleeping on the streets after my nerd brain ran away from home just because I had an emotional interpretation with my life at home. It is not enough that my ode to you ends here. But we will get to that in time.

For now, on your way home, I wanted to tell you…I treasure you. Cheesy you may consider but I cannot say it better than this.

Alas! The start and end of my life here in Cebu, however, is not dependent on your departure back to the beloved hometown. But wherever we are, we do find each other in perfect timing…map or no map.

Copyright ©2006 Theren Alexander

No comments: